Knicks At Cavaliers: Game Notes, Predictions
The wait is finally over.
After a long summer without basketball the NBA finally returns tonight, when the New York Knicks visit the Cleveland Cavaliers.
Tonight, Cleveland is the center of the sports world as the Cavs will drop their 2015-16 championship banner and give the players their rings at the same time that the Cleveland Indians host Game 1 of the World Series. After over 50 years of title-less sports in Cleveland, two of their teams might bring home titles in the same year.
Yeah, it’s kind of a big deal.
But let’s get back to basketball, as the NBA opens their 2016-17 season at the height of the league’s popularity.
- The Knicks have lost six straight games to the Cavaliers, dating back to LeBron’s debut in Cleveland in 2014.
- Cleveland has held the Knicks under 90 points in 5 of their last 6 meetings.
- Last season, Kevin Love averaged 17.3 points per game and 12.0 rebounds per game against the Knicks.
- LeBron James has scored a total of 1206 points against the Knicks in his career, the 6th most he has against any team.
- LeBron James has a 14-12 record head to head with Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony.
It is hard for me to imagine the Knicks overcoming all of the energy which will be in Cleveland tonight. After hanging the banner and receiving their rings, I think the Cavs will be inspired to a hot start.
The Knicks may fight back into the game and make it interesting, but the Cavs will ultimately pull away and get the win on opening night.